Established in Victoria in 1914, the Town and Country Planning Association is a politically independent not-for-profit association incorporated in Victoria.
TCPA began life as the Victorian Town Planning and Parks Association, which was formed in Melbourne in 1914, with Dr J. W. (later Sir James) Barrett the first president. The name was later changed to the Town and Country Planning Association. Its objects were “to give the town a bit of the country, and the country a bit of the town, to secure better housing, to protect existing parks, to safeguard native animals and plants and erect memorials to explorers”. The Association adopted a new constitution and was incorporated in 1994.
- To promote the application of principles of ecological sustainability to existing and new settlements and urban regeneration;
- To encourage the practice of environmental planning;
- To advocate the establishment of an effective strategic planning framework;
- To motivate, educate and inspire popular support for environmental planning;
- To arrange public lectures, demonstrations, exhibitions, conferences, seminars, and meetings in support of the objectives of the Association and to pay for the costs and expenses of these from the funds of the Association;
- To establish and support, and to aid in the establishment and support of, any other associations formed for all or any of the objectives of this Association; and
- To do anything which is legal and incidental or conducive to achieving any or all of the above objectives.
President: Marianne Richards
Vice President: Horst (Oz) Kayak
Secretary: Peter Hill
Treasurer: Ray Walford
Committee Members: Jean-Francois Delvaen, Mohammed Fahim Zafar, Russell Thompson, David Wilson